They help the audience follow and interpret your message.
BENEFITS OF LISTING
Using a list format as a component in your presentation can produce a variety of benefits for both you and your audience. Lists:
- provide a template, helping to keep the presenter organized and on track
- make a specific promise to the listener of what's to come and, by omission, make it clear what won't be covered
- through the modular chunks, make it easier for the audience to digest the information you offer
- are more memorable because of the numbered structure which almost creates a visual in the listener's mind -- for example, ten key steps or three critical decisions
- help the audience maintain focus as they follow the road map you've outlined; if their attention does stray, it's easy for them to re-focus, knowing where you are on your list
- can create the perception that you're offering meaty content with lists like "The Ten Strategies to...."
Bottom line, lists are a powerful option in your presentation tool kit, keeping you organized and enhancing the memorability of your message for the audience.